The University of Texas Medical Branch Senior Medical Educator - Educational Development (Instructional Design expert) in Galveston, Texas
Ed.D. or Ph.D. in education, psychology or a related field and two years experience in medical/health professions education. JOB DESCRIPTION: To provide professional expertise and leadership for planning, implementing and evaluating medical education programs in consultation with the faculty of the Medical School.
Salary Range **
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP12.
Specific Job Related Duties **
- Provide leadership to faculty in the development and implementation of a variety of pedagogical techniques with an emphasis on active learning.
- Provide leadership in the creation of multimedia presentations, media formats, mobile technologies, and related faculty development.
- Provide consultation, support and training to faculty in the development of educational materials that enhance the teaching and learning experience, specifically those involving current or emerging technologies to improve the educational experience.
- Guide and facilitate faculty in the effective integration of technology in courses/clerkships for the delivery of the curriculum (related to educational support and development, not technical training).
- Evaluate the current instructional approaches related to technology and research and evaluate emerging technologies for recommendations for use within the SOM curriculum.
- Support the culture of teaching excellence and educational scholarship through the dissemination of pedagogical information and methods specifically related to technology applications
- In collaboration with other Senior Medical Educators develop online and/or asynchronous educational faculty development for dissemination to faculty preceptors.
- Work with other Senior Medical Educators in building a diverse portfolio of workshops and programs including just in time training, multiple session training, online interactive sessions and longitudinal training.
- Actively review the current programs on campus to keep informed about emerging educational technologies in other schools and assist in developing collaborative efforts.
- Document and assess the impact and effectiveness of support and professional offerings.
- Seek out internal and external grant opportunities for faculty development educational training and educational scholarship specific to instructional design and emerging educational technologies.
- Provide support to the AD for the standards related to faculty development from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Collaborate with the Academy of Master Teachers to promote interprofessional teaching excellence and educational scholarship.
- Other duties as assigned.
Terminal Degree in education or related field. Three years of applied instructional design experience in a medical school or academic health center setting. Demonstrated leadership in instructional design initiatives and application of academic technologies. Proven verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with professionals with a wide range of professional backgrounds. Ability to integrate technology with pedagogy.
Preferred Work Experience **
5 years of experience in Undergraduate Medical Education. Experience leading discussion and faculty development on instructional design practices in medical education.
Closing Statement **
Senior Medical Educator: Instructional Designer
The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston, Office of Educational Development is hiring a Senior Medical Educator to work with faculty in the School of Medicine as the Instructional Design expert and promote active learning through the use of Problem Based Learning and the increased use of technology enhanced techniques. This position reports to the Assistant Dean for Educational Development. This position will be responsible for the development and management of a diverse portfolio activities for faculty to support the professional growth of medical educators within the School of Medicine.
Areas of emphasis include the training and support of all teaching faculty in Problem Based Learning, integration of technology into teaching and learning, the ongoing teaching of pedagogically sound practices, working with instructor initiated projects and new academic technology initiatives within the courses/clerkships using both their expertise with technology and background in design methodologies, and guiding the continuous quality improvement process of instructional design throughout the curriculum. There is also the potential to work closely with staff and faculty in the other UTMB schools. This person will work closely with other Senior Medical Educators to effectively address the ongoing development and advancement of educational excellence at UTMB.
Closing Statement **
Equal Employment Opportunity **
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Senior Medical Educator - Educational Development (Instructional Design expert)
Job ID: 57884
Business Unit: SOMED